Volume 79 (2016)
Quarterly (Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter)
E ISSN 1544-399X
Huntington Library Quarterly
The Huntington Library Quarterly publishes articles on the literature, history, and art of the sixteenth to eighteenth centuries in Britain and America, with special emphasis on:
- the interactions of literature, politics, and religion;
- the social and political contexts of literary and art history;
- textual and bibliographical studies, including the history of printing and publishing;
- American studies, through the early nineteenth century; and
- the performance history of drama and music.
The journal also publishes book reviews and review articles on important work in early modern studies. The Intramuralia section now reports comprehensively on the Huntington's acquisitions of rare books, manuscripts, and ephemera.
The University of Pennsylvania Press assumes publishing responsiblitites in 2016. Please contact us for back issue requests.
Copies of the Supplement to the Guide to Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in the Huntington Library are available for $20 from the Huntington Library Press.
The Huntington Library Quarterly received a top award in the 2009 competition of Council of Editors of Learned Journals (CELJ) for the special issue "Prison Writings in Early Modern England" (HLQ vol. 72, no. 2).
Guidelines for Submission
Scholars working in the history, literature, or art history of the early modern period are encouraged to submit manuscripts of articles for consideration by the journal. We seek outstanding archivally based work, regardless of where it is researched. Scholars of American studies through 1830 are especially encouraged to submit article manuscripts.
- For Notes and Documents we seek either short pieces on specific subjects or pieces of up to fifteen thousand words devoted to the content of archival materials (including transcriptions of manuscripts).
- Both article manuscripts and Notes and Documents pieces must include an abstract.
- Please send submissions to email@example.com. If there are figures, email them in a separate file, keyed with figure numbers to the text. If you have questions about a submission, please contact Sara Austin at the email above or by telephone at 626-405-2138. The Quarterly’s mailing address is 1151 Oxford Road, San Marino, CA 91108.
HLQ was previously hosted on the JSTOR Current Scholarship Program. Penn Press does not participate in that program but the older content (Volume years 2012 and before) will be available to libraries that subscribe to the appropriate collection with JSTOR.
Subscribers have access through this website to Volume 78(2015) and all current issues going forward.
2013 and 2014 volumes are available on this website also.
The journal is published by the University of Pennsylvania Press. Business inquiries should be sent to Penn Press at:
University of Pennsylvania Press
3905 Spruce Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104-4112
2016 Subscription Rates
Individuals: Print and online $54
Individuals: Online only $38
Institutions: Print and online $260
Institutions: Online only $188
Add $18 Shipping to all orders shipping to addresses outside the United States (including Canada).
Single Issues: $20
To place an order, use the Subscribe/Renew link in the right navigation menu or call 215-573-1295.